The School Nurse Corps
School Nurse Corps
In partnerships with schools, families and communities, the School Nurse Corps facilitates student success by addressing health needs that interfere with learning. We work under federal and state laws and regulations and practice within professional standards outlined by school nurse and school health organizations.
The ESD 105 School Nurse Corps provides:
- Support of R.N. services in selected, small school districts in accordance with state-mandated eligibility and documented need
- Consultation and technical assistance for all school districts regarding student health issues and school health systems
- Health Resource Lending Library for all ESD 105 school district employees
- Monthly regional school nurse meetings for professional learning and support of school nurse practice
School Nurse Corps Goals
- Students in all public school districts have access to basic R.N. services
- All students in Class II (student enrollment below 2,000) districts identified with potentially life-threatening and/or chronic health conditions have emergency care plans/individualized health plans (ECPs/IHPs) developed and implemented with staff training, delegation, and supervision by an R.N.
- All students in Class II districts receive medication and/or medical treatment in compliance with current laws and accepted standards and with staff training and supervision provided by an R.N.
- All Class II districts provide mandated screening programs and comply with immunization laws
- School districts have policies and procedures for school health services based on current laws and accepted standards
- All districts have access to consultation, education, and resources regarding school health services
- Collection of regional data to evaluate the impact of nursing interventions on student education and health outcomes
School Nurse Corps MissionThe School Nurse Corps, in partnership with schools, families, and communities, improves student health outcomes, safety, and readiness to learn. The SNC promotes equity by increasing access to student health services and expanding public school districts' capacity to provide a safe and healthy learning environment.
School Nurse Corps VisionAll children receive equitable, full access to school nursing services to be safe and successful in school and life.