Welcome to Migrant Literacy
Our Migrant Education Program is committed to supporting students, families, certified teachers and classified staff!
The ESD 105 Migrant Education Department participates as a member state in the Migrant Preschool Initiative. The Preschool Initiative (PI) is a Consortium Incentive Grant (CIG) that aims to assist state Migrant Education Programs (MEPs) with laying an educational foundation that will lead to increased parent engagement and improved migrant student performance across academic disciplines.
The goals of the Migrant Preschool Initiative are:
• To expand the capacity of state and local MEPs to serve migrant Pre-K children.
• To ensure that more services are provided to migrant 3-5 year old children and that these children will demonstrate substantial and measurable educational gains.
• To disseminate evidence-based promising practices developed by PI to the national MEP community and other stakeholders.
Reading and the Migrant Student
“Migrant students are capable of achieving as much as any other students. The real challenge is to provide consistent, long-term reading instruction.” –Andrea Jachman (2002).
Teachers can employ a number of research-based instructional techniques to compensate for the lack of continuity our migrant students’ experience:
• Balanced reading instruction
• Guided small group intervention
• Creating positive, inclusive environments
• Increase language proficiency
• Incorporate students’ experiences in content
• Engage families
• Provide staff with professional development opportunities
Selecting Text for Young Children
Carefully chosen texts, for read alouds, will positively impact a child’s development in numerous domains; language, literacy, social emotional, and cognitive.