Teacher of the Year
Nominate a Teacher of the Year from your district!
Nominations for the 2022 ESD 105 Regional Teacher of the Year have closed. We will announce our regional winner in May 2022.
ESD 105 facilitates the Regional Teacher of the Year program, which annually honors an educator who exemplifies teaching excellence in our south central Washington region. Our regional honoree also serves as one of nine candidates statewide for Washington State Teacher of the Year (which is announced each fall).
For more information about the program, see OSPI's Teacher of the Year website.
OSPI will contact nominated teachers with information and submission deadlines for turning in application materials. Selection of our Regional Teacher of the Year occurs during the end of summer and is traditionally announced near the start of the new school year. The Washington State Teacher of the Year selection committee then contacts and interviews the finalists for the statewide award in September.
- (Current) 2021-2022: Randi Kreig - Goldendale School District
- 2020-2021: Megan Anderson-Reilly - Yakima School District
- 2019-2020: Stephanie King - Granger School District
- 2018-2019: Michael Clinton - Mt. Adams School District
- 2017-2018: Jennifer Tenney - Mt. Adams School District
- 2016-2017: Jose Corona - Toppenish School District
- 2015-2016: Joyce Stark - Sunnyside School District
- 2014-2015: Spencer Martin - Sunnyside School District
- 2013-2014: Josh Schlegel - Sunnyside School District
- 2012-2013: Jeff Charbonneau - Zillah School District
- 2011-2012: Beth Mahugh - Selah School District
- 2010-2011: Tracey Schepman - Ellensburg School District
- 2009-2010: Madeline Dunn - Toppenish School District
- 2008-2009: Susan Johnson - Cle Elum-Roslyn School District
- 2007-2008: Brenda Marler - Toppenish School District
- 2006-2007: Irene Longmire - Wahluke School District
- 2005-2006: Judy Dorsett - Yakima School District
- 2004-2005: Tamara Steen - Mabton School District
- 2003-2004: Amy Davis - Grandview School District
- Awards Prior to 2003
History of ESD 105 Teacher of the Year Awards
Since the Washington State Teacher of the Year was first presented in 1952, six educators from the ESD 105 region have been named Washington State Teacher of the Year: Jeff Charbonneau of Zillah (for 2013), Susan Johnson of Cle Elum-Roslyn (2009), Tamara Steen of Mabton (2004, and one of four finalists for the national award), Yvonne Ullas of Naches Valley (1998), Dan Zeutenhorst of Yakima (1977), and Robert Tormey of West Valley (1974).
In 2013, Zillah science teacher Jeff Charbonneau became the fourth educator from our state to be named the National Teacher of the Year. Charbonneau spent the 2013-2014 school year as the Councils of Chief Secondary School Officers' ambassador for education in appearances throughout the nation and overseas.
Others from Washington who have been named the National Teacher of the Year are Mandy Manning (2018, Newcomer Center teacher at the Spokane School District's Ferris High School), Andrea Peterson (2007, Granite Falls School District elementary music teacher), Johnnie Dennis (1970, Walla Walla School District high school physics teacher), and S. Elmon Ousley (1963, Bellevue School District high school government teacher). Since the program's start in 1952, Washington has fielded the National Teacher of the Year more times than any other state except for California.
For more information on the Teacher of the Year program, contact, ESD 105 Public Information Officer.
Additional information for Teacher of the Year
• OSPI's Teacher of the Year Web site