This year marks the 50th Year Anniversary of our Regional High School Art Show. Our 2023 show features 90 unique works by students from across the south central region of Washington State. Judge Choice Award winners will advance to OSPI’s statewide Superintendent’s High School Art Show. Submissions in this juried show fall within three categories: 2-D, 3-D, and Photography.
From the collection of submissions, 14 students received special accolades for their pieces.
● Nine student pieces were recognized with Judge Choice Awards and will be advancing to OSPI’s statewide Superintendent’s High School Art Show that is expected to occur later this spring.
● Two pieces were selected as winners of the ESD 105 Board Choice Award and will be purchased to join the permanent display of student artwork in the agency’s Greenough Conference Center.
● Nine of the students in this year’s show were selected by members of the arts faculty at Central Washington University for CWU scholarships in recognition of their entries in the 2023 show.
● Four student pieces were awarded with Regional Photography Awards.
Two entries in the ESD 105 Regional Show were selected for the ESD 105 Board Choice Award. These pieces were chosen to be purchased for a cash award from the ESD 105 Board of Directors and will join previous year Choice Award winners in a collection that is on permanent display at the ESD 105 Greenough Conference Center in Yakima.
● “Internal Eternity” by Marlene Martinez of Yakima School District (2-D Category)
● “Tidal Wave” by Marley Goodwin of Yakima School District (Photography Category)
Nine students have been selected to receive scholarship awards to Central Washington University in recognition of their artwork in this year’s local show. These awards, collectively totaling $18,000, were determined by members of the CWU art faculty to be used toward enrollment in art classes at the university.
● “Painful Shards” by Camile Tetreault of Yakima School District (2-D)
● “American Gothic” by Emily Morales of Yakima School District (2-D)
● “Within Arms Reach” by Claria Tuning of Goldendale School District (2-D)
● “Victor” by Talitha Adams of Goldendale School District (2-D)
● “Life In Line” by Mia Sanchez of Grandview School District (2-D)
● “Rainy Day” by Maribel Gonzales of Wapato School District (2-D)
● “Grasp of Compliance” by Lily Kinloch of West Valley School District (2-D)
● “Repulsive Division” by Marlene Martinez of Yakima School District (2-D)
● “Musical Architecture” by Sierra Downes of Yakima School District (Photography)