Regional High School Art Show: "And the winners are..."
Six works of creativity by south central Washington's high school students are advancing to OSPI's statewide Superintendent's High School Art Show in Olympia this spring after being chosen as standouts from the 94 entries in this year's 45th annual ESD 105 Regional High School Art Show. This year's juror for the Regional Awards was David Bieloh, assistant professor of graphic design at Central Washington University.
Another four pieces received special honors during our local show's March 3 opening reception at J.A. World -- two getting the ESD 105 Board Choice Award for permanent display in our Conference Center's display of student art, and another two being among those earning their creator a scholarship award from Central Washington University.
(Pictured here: Award-winning students and teachers from our March 3 opening reception.)
Our Regional Award winners that are moving on to the March 30-June 1 statewide show at the Old Capitol Building Olympia are:
• "Eyes of Curiosity" graphite/charcoal/pastel portrait by Goldendale 12th grader Gabrielle Guthrie, student of art teacher Scott Gray
• "Piano" mixed media artwork by West Valley 12th grader Emilee Black, a student of art teacher Grant Johnston
• "The Golden Hour" digital photography by West Valley 12th grader Katrina Sybouts, student of Grant Johnston
• "Brother" pencil portrait by Ellensburg 10th grader Lucia Beck, student of art teacher Darrin Walter
• "Kohaku" mixed media sculpture by Toppenish 12th grader Mallery Durey, student of art teacher Laura Wise
• "Dendritic" black and white photography by Eisenhower 12th grader Kaitlyn Ditter, student of art teacher Lance Johnson
This year's ESD 105 Board Choice Award winners are:
• "Fluttering of the Mind" pastel artwork by Goldendale 11th grader Katelynn Harris, student of Scott Gray
• "Wisdom" graphite drawing by Toppenish 12th grader Leslie Ferolito, student of Laura Wise
Recipients of this year's Central Washington University scholarship awards are:
• Goldendale 12th grader Gabrielle Guthrie - $2,000 award for pastel artwork "Grace"
• Goldendale 11th grader Chelsea Ross - $1,000 award for oil painting "Self-Portrait"
• Toppenish 12th grader Mallery Durey - $1,000 award for mixed media sculpture "Kohaku"
• West Valley 12th grader Amilee Black - $1,000 award for mixed media artwork "Piano"
• Eisenhower 12th grader Kaitlyn Ditter - $1,000 award for black and white photograph "Dendritic"
(Photos on this page by Cara Elzie, student at Riverside Christian High School)