Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
"Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is an evidence-based, tiered framework for supporting students’ behavioral, academic, social, emotional, and mental health. When implemented with fidelity, PBIS improves social emotional competence, academic success, and school climate. It also improves teacher health and wellbeing. It is a way to create positive, predictable, equitable and safe learning environments where everyone thrives.
Schools implementing PBIS:
- Use a continuum of evidence-based practices to support student needs
- Engage students, families, and community members to co-create culturally responsive practices
- Regularly check the effectiveness of their practices
- Rely on teams to guide implementation
- Use data to identify strengths, uncover needs, and monitor student progress
- Implement universal screening
- Develop content expertise through coaching and on-going professional development
PBIS is not a curriculum you purchase or something you learn during a one-day professional development training. It is an ongoing commitment to supporting students, educators, and families through systems change. When you implement PBIS well, students experience improved behavioral, social, emotional, and academic outcomes; schools and programs reduce their use of exclusionary discipline practices and improve their overall climate."
Center on PBIS (2022). Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports [Website]. www.pbis.org.
ESD 105 PBIS Training, Coaching, and Technical Assistance Services:
Tier 1 PBIS Training, Coaching, & Technical Assistance
Tier 2 PBIS Training, Coaching, & Technical Assistance
Tier 3 PBIS Training, Coaching, & Technical Assistance
Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI) Training, Coaching, & Technical Assistance
District Systems Fidelity Inventory (DSFI) Training, Coaching, & Technical Assistance
Behavior Principles Training
SWIS (School-Wide Information System) Facilitator
PBIS Assessment Coordinator (PBISApps)
If you are interested in exploring, implementing, or needing additional support with PBIS, please contact ESD 105’s Multi-Tiered System of Supports Coordinator.