School Climate Transformation
The School Climate Transformation Grant is supporting efforts to promote positive learning environments for students in selected middle and high schools within the ESD 105 region.
The work focus includes Multi Tiered System of Supports, safety, promoting positive mental health, reducing substance abuse and improving attendance. The interventions in these areas are also designed to carry over into improving academic results for the students enrolled in the consortium’s schools.
This U.S. Department of Education, five-year, $3,747,440 grant was awarded in the fall of 2019. The consortia includes Grandview, Granger, Mabton, Mt. Adams, and Wahluke school districts, and the Yakama Nation Tribal School.
The grant is funding work from ESD 105 provide training and coaching to school educators in implement a multi tiered system of supports, and in providing classroom curricula designed to promote positive personal choices that will facilitate stronger learning opportunities.
This work from the grant has several goals, including:
- Having all 13 of the schools fully implement an MTSS framework
- A 10% annual decrease in student suspensions at all the schools
- A 10% annual increase on student proficiency in state math and English scores
- Suicide prevention strategies implemented in each school during each year
- Implementation of opioid abuse prevention strategies in all participating schools by next September
- A 10% annual decrease in student opioid use, a 10% annual decrease in student alcohol use, and a 5% annual decrease in student drug abuse at each school